Italian Village Chicken Vesuvio is a classic dish that originated from the Italian-American community in Chicago. It's a hearty and comforting dish that features bone-in chicken pieces, potatoes, and peas cooked in a garlic and white wine sauce. The dish is traditionally baked in the oven, but can also be cooked on the stovetop.
How to Make Italian Village Chicken Vesuvio - Recipe and Review
To make Italian Village Chicken Vesuvio, you start by searing the chicken in a hot skillet until it's browned on both sides. Then you remove the chicken and cook sliced potatoes and garlic in the same skillet until the potatoes are browned and crispy. Next, you add white wine, chicken broth, and dried oregano to the skillet and bring the mixture to a simmer. Then you add the chicken back to the skillet along with frozen peas and continue cooking until the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce has thickened.
This dish is known for its flavorful sauce, which is made from the juices of the chicken, garlic, and wine. The potatoes add a nice texture and absorb the flavors of the sauce, while the peas add a pop of color and freshness to the dish.
Overall, Italian Village Chicken Vesuvio is a delicious and satisfying dish that's perfect for a cozy family dinner or a special occasion. Its combination of savory chicken, crispy potatoes, and fragrant garlic makes it a crowd-pleaser that's sure to please even the most discerning palates.
Italian Village Chicken Vesuvio Recipe
- 4 chicken legs
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet. Cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- Add the potatoes and garlic to the skillet and cook until the potatoes are browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, nestling it among the potatoes.
- Pour the chicken broth and white wine over the chicken and potatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and then transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
- Add the peas to the skillet and return it to the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the peas are heated through.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
- Calories: 716
- Fat: 40g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 45g
Italian Village Chicken Vesuvio is a classic Italian-American dish that is packed with flavor and easy to make. The combination of juicy chicken, crispy potatoes, and fragrant garlic and herbs make for a comforting and satisfying meal. The addition of peas adds a nice pop of color and freshness to the dish. From a nutritional standpoint, this dish is high in protein and provides a good amount of fiber from the potatoes and peas. Overall, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try if you're looking for a hearty and delicious meal that's sure to impress.